In the past, extracting text from digital documents – such as digital image files, scanned documents, and photographed documents – was a time-consuming task. However, with the rise of OCR software, data extraction from digital files has become super quick and easy. Today, many businesses across the globe use the best OCR software or OCR API for its enormous benefits, such as enhanced productivity, cost reductions, and improved data entry accuracy.
Since OCR software is pretty helpful, we’ve put together a list of the 14 best OCR software that you can use to accurately extract text from digital files.
What Is An OCR Software?
OCR (Optical Character Recognition) is a very helpful technology that allows us to extract text from digital files. It enables automated data extraction from digital images, PDFs, and photographed and scanned documents (such as passports, driver’s licenses, or credit cards), thereby saving time and cost. It is also used to convert PDF files and scanned documents into editable documents. For instance, we can make copies of PDFs without the need to retype all the text.
The history of OCR dates back to the 1900s. However, the technology has improved significantly over time, and today OCR software is capable of accurately recognizing text (handwritten, printed, or typed) within digital documents, images, and written notes. This means you can scan written documents or printed text files, and then use the best OCR software to automatically extract data/text.
What Are Some Of The Best OCR Software?
Filestack’s OCR API is one of the best OCR tools in the market right now that can help you interpret and extract data from digital files. The efficient API provides accurate results, reduces errors, and increases data collection efficiency. Additionally, the tool streamlines the data extraction process.
- Filestack OCR allows you to extract text from images and documents like tax documents, invoices, business cards, credit cards, and IDs
- Can efficiently detect printed as well as handwritten texts in images
- Filestack’s efficient OCR also provides all the details about detected text areas, lines, and words
- The OCR also improves the data collection efficiency and reduces errors
- Comes with detailed documentation (with examples)
- The efficient tool helps extract and organize text from documents, such as passports, credit cards, driver’s licenses, and tax receipts
- Streamlines the data extraction process
- Some organizations may find pricing plans a bit expensive. There is also a free plan, but with limited features
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
Adobe Acrobat DC is a highly efficient PDF editing tool that also offers OCR conversion. It can convert scanned documents into editable PDFs.
- Efficiently converts text extracted from scanned documents and images into editable files and searchable PDFs
- Can accurately identify the font used in the document, and then uses the same font while converting the text into a PDF document
- Can also scan documents, such as handwritten notes and receipts
- Also allows users to reorder pages of the PDF documents
- Adobe Acrobat DC offers a wide range of impressive features
- Supports digital signatures as well as batch processing
- Can be confusing for beginners
OmniPage Ultimate is one of the best OCR software for professional use and batch processing.
- Supports batch processing
- OmniPage Ultimate can handle complex documents efficiently
- Using Omnipage, users can also convert printed text into digital files
- OmniPage Ultimate also allows users to create searchable PDF files and editable text formats from photos captured on the mobile phone camera
- Supports multiple languages (both scanning and document creation)
- User-friendly and easy-to-use
- Allows users to edit, process, store and share documents
- Supports Windows OS only
Abbyy FineReader PDF
Abbyy FineReader PDF uses AI technology to accurately extract text from documents and images.
- Abbyy FineReader PDF allows users to accurately extract data from scanned and digital PDF documents
- With Abbyy FineReader PDF, users can instantly edit and convert PDF files
- Allows users to modify sentences and adjust paragraphs once the document is scanned
- Users can also annotate any section in the PDF files
- Allow users to comment on documents
- Abbyy FineReader PDF also allows users to split a single large PDF file with too many pages into multiple files
- Allows businesses to streamline their workflows
- Can efficiently handle complex documents with several pages
- A bit expensive
Next on the list of best OCR software is Readiris. It’s a great tool for protecting and annotating PDF documents.
- Readiris can extract text from paper documents and images
- It supports several image file formats, such as PNG, BMP, TIFF files, and more
- With Readiris, users can extract text from specific sections or the entire file
- Readiris supports batch processing
- Readiris also supports text to audio files conversion
- Offers a range of useful features and functions
- Professional-grade OCR software
- Text extraction accuracy for handwritten documents is low
Rossum provides a highly accurate AI-based OCR service. It is widely used for printed documents like invoices and receipts.
- Rossum can be integrated with a variety of other tools, such as QuickBooks, Microsoft Dynamics, and SAP
- Rossum can accurately extract data from invoices with different formats and layouts
- With Rossum, users can add or modify data once the document is scanned
- Rossum supports multiple image formats, such as PNG, PDF, and JPG
- Minimizes the risk of errors due to manual data entry
- Can scan multiple documents simultaneously
- Rossum doesn’t support iOS and Android
Nanonets is another AI-based OCR software to extract text from unstructured data.
- Nanonets can efficiently extract data from printed documents, such as tax forms, invoices, insurance forms, purchase orders, ID cards, bank statements, and more
- Supports batch processing
- With Nanonets, users can export files in multiple formats, such as Excel, PDF, JSON, and XML
- Nanonets also supports audio file conversion
- Comes with a free plan
- Nanonets is a no-code platform
- Doesn’t support scanner integration
Next on the list of best OCR software is ABBYY Flexicapture, another reliable OCR tool for businesses that offers intelligent document processing and scanning.
- ABBYY Flexicapture utilizes several modern recognition technologies, AI, and machine learning to efficiently extract text from images and PDFs
- The efficient tool enables automation
- ABBYY Flexicapture also supports batch processing
- Supports more than 200 languages
- Reduces the need for manual processing
- ABBYY Flexicapture offers a variety of business-grade advanced features
IBM Datacap part of IBM Cloud Pack. It’s one of the best OCR software for streamlining the process of extracting unstructured data from business documents.
- IBM Datacap automates the collection, identification, and classification of business documents
- Rules-based capture and content management
- One of the most loved features of IBM Datacap is that it can efficiently detect data from complex documents and organize it into fields
- IBM Datacap is compatible with several devices, such as fax, mobile devices, multifunction peripherals, and scanners
- AI-based intelligent processing
- Easy to use
- Online customer support needs improvement
- IBM Datacap’s batch processing is slow
Google Document AI
Google Document AI or DocAI is essentially a document processing interface that uses machine learning to automatically identify and extract data from documents. The tool is part of the Google Cloud AI portfolio.
- Google Document AI allows users to process a variety of documents, such as invoices, PDFs, and payment forms
- It uses AI to provide highly accurate results
- Easy to set up
- Google Document AI also supports text editing, document splitting, and form parsing
- Google Document AI supports several languages
- Google Document AI reduces the need for manual data entry
- Saves processing costs
- With Google Document AI, customizing pre-built libraries and modules is a bit difficult
AWS Textract uses machine learning and OCR technology to automatically extract text and other data from any scanned document. Additionally, the tool eliminates the need for extracting data manually.
- AWS Textract can automatically extract data from printed text and handwritten documents
- It uses AI to extract structured data/text like forms and tables from documents
- Doesn’t require any manual effort to extract text
When you use AWS Textract, you can extract data in minutes
- Robust data privacy
- AWS Textract also enhances security and compliance
- Accuracy for extracting custom fields from a form is low
Docparser is a cloud-based OCR software that you can use to automate low-value tasks and workflows. When you use this tool, you can also edit, organize and filter converted PDF files.
- Docparser uses Zonal OCR technology to accurately detect and extract text from images
- Docparser also allows users to edit, organize and filter converted files
- Comes with a QR code and barcode reader
- Can extract numerical values like prices and mobile numbers, as well as emails
- No-code platform
- Web-based only
Klippa offers automated document processing, management, classification, and data extraction for organizations.
- When you use Klippa, you can collect, record, and process invoices from multiple platforms, such as apps, web, and email
- Klippa also supports document scanning
- Validates data and documents
- Klippa is a great tool for scanning receipts and invoices
- It also reduces errors and enhances efficiency
- Klippa is compatible with multiple operating systems, such as desktop, Android, and iOS
Developed by Google, Tesseract is one of the best free OCR software that supports various operating systems.
- Supports text formatting
- Supports more than 100 languages
- Tesseract can also detect handwritten text
- When you use Tesseract, you’re sure to get highly accurate results
- Tesseract is also free to use
- Not suitable for businesses
How Can I Test The Best OCR Software?
You sign up for a free trial (if there is one) and try the features of the OCR software. Additionally, you can test different tools and then choose the best OCR software for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What does OCR mean?
OCR stands for Optical Character Recognition, which allows you to extract text from digital files, such as images, or PDFs. Additionally, you can also use OCR to convert PDF files and scanned documents into editable documents.
Which is the best OCR software?
Some of the best OCR software include Filestack OCR, Abbyy FineReader PDF, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and Google document AI. However, you should always check the features of the software before deciding which one is the right tool for your needs.
Can OCR software detect handwriting?
Efficient OCR Software, such as Filestack, can efficiently extract handwriting. Additionally, these tools help streamline the data extraction process
Sidra is an experienced technical writer with a solid understanding of web development, APIs, AI, IoT, and related technologies. She is always eager to learn new skills and technologies.
Read More →